Fruit cake is a must have during the end of year holiday season. It’s packed with different fruits and nuts that make your tastebuds go crazy! There are many different versions of a ‘real’ fruit cake but here is my way…
- 1/2 cup cherries, chopped
- 1/3 cup prunes, chopped
- 1/3 cup raisins, chopped
- 1/3 sultanas, chopped
- 1 cup Malta
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup butter (227g), softened
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp JGM PRODUCTS cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Add fruits to Malta and allow to soak for 2 hours minimum.
- After soaking, place the fruit mixture into a food processor and pulse a few times until it has reached the desired ‘chunkiness’.
- In a bowl add butter and beat using a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add sugar, vanilla essence, eggs one at a time and mix for 2-3 mins.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and almonds. Mix until well conbined.
- Fold in 1/3 of the flour and 1/3 fruit/Malta mixture.
- Repeat this step until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour contents into a greased bread pan.
- Bake at 320 degrees for 1hr and 15 mins. You can check it using a toothpick to determine if you need to continue baking it. Once it comes out clean, it’s finished.
- Allow to cool and cut into slices.
- TIME TO EAT!
Instead of Malta, you can use peardrax or grape juice. Also, the measurements of the fruits can vary according to your preferences. Add more raisins, less cherries etc… whichever way, have fun with it!
Some use ‘browning’ to add color to the fruit cake. The molasses in the Malta however does that for you so no browning is necessary in this recipe unless you prefer very dark fruit cake.c
Check out the video here:
Thanks much for stopping by and be sure to try out my version of fruit cake!