I am a rice lover…actually I LOVE LOVE LOVE plain hot white rice with anything peppery lol but I also like to experiment with different rice dishes.
Today I grabbed some jalapeños from the refrigerator…as well as corn and cilantro from my pantry and decided why not try a cilantro rice with jalapeño and corn!?!?
Honestly I am not a fan of jalapeños but my hubby enjoys them quite a lot so why not add them to some rice.
Here’s my recipe…
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup corn
- 2 jalapeños, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cilantro (fresh if possible…if not dried would be fine)
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
I chose jasmine rice today but you can use any rice you like and you can also more or less jalapeños depending on your preference.
Here is how I went about putting everything together….
- Heat oil and butter in skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until tender, 1-2 mins (stir occasionally)
- Add garlic, corn and jalapeños. Cook for approx 2 mins. Stir constantly.
- Add rice and stir to coat all rice grains. Add water and season with salt, stir once and allow water to come to a rapid boil.
- Cover and reduce heat. Cook for approx 10-12 mins or until water has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Allow pan to rest for 2-3 mins covered. Remove cover and add cilantro. Stir.
- TIME TO EAT!
I had garlic herb tuna steak and sautéed veggies with this rice and boy oh boy was it delicious!
I was so surprised that I actually enjoyed it seeing that there were jalapeños in it!
You need to give it a try for sure!