Dhal and rice would be one of my favorite things to eat…anytime… any day! A few days ago I actually had dhal and rice with kuchela amd some cucumbers…yups…not even kidding lol…no meat nothing… 😀
…But recently I’ve been craving some curry shrimp and potato with rice and dhal. Thankfully today the ‘fish van’ came by and I was able to get nice size fresh shrimp (3lbs for $100TTD…not bad at all!)
Although I was having an extremely busy and tiring day, I was determined to make this dish! I quickly cleaned it…
Seasoned it with curry, geera amchar masala, salt, pepper, garlic, onion and culantro (chadon beni)
I left this to marinate for almost 5 hours today! 😋
While this was marinating, I prepared the potatoes. You can slice them or cut them into chunks…
Here are the ingredients and exact measurements I used…
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 lime, juice from
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 chadon beni (culantro) leaves, finely chopped
- 2 cherry peppers, chopped ( I actually used 3 but I am a pepper mouth and this turned out pretty spicy so I think 2 should be fine but you can adjust accordingly)
- 3 potatoes, peeled and chopped or sliced
- 1 tbsp salt
- 5 tbsp JGM PRODUCTS MEDIUM HOT CURRY
- 1 tbsp JGM PRODUCTS ROASTED GEERA
- 1/2 tsp JGM PRODUCTS AMCHAR MASALA
Above I showed some stages but here’s everything in proper steps to make it easier for you…
- Peel and devein shrimp. Wash with 1/2 lime juice and set aside to drain
- Add the chopped chadon beni, pepper and 1 of the grated garlic, 1bsp of the curry, 1/2 of the sliced onion, the geera and amchar masala. Add the rest of the lime juice And mix well to coat all the shrimp.
- Set aside and allow to marinate for as long as possible (2 hours minimum )
- Heat oil in pot over medium heat.
- While the oil is heating, add the remaining 4 tbsp of curry to some water (just enough to form a paste). Set aside.
- When the oil is hot, add the remaining onion slices and 2 cloves of grated garlic and cook until slightly brown.
- Add the curry ‘paste’ and stir constantly.
- Add the potatoes and enough water to cover them. Cover the pot and let it cook until the potatoes are almost cooked through (give it about 10 mins and check them… add more water if necessary).
- When they are almost finished, add the shrimp. Stir well the coat all the shrimp with the curry sauce.
- Cook with the pot uncovered until the shrimp are opaque and potatoes are tender. (you can cook for a few more minutes if there is too much water in the pot)
- Serve with hot rice and dhal…
- TIME TO EAT! 😀