#chowchow #trinidad #relish
Chow Chow is a MUST HAVE for most Trinis around the end of year holiday season. It’s similar to that of relish and is normally eaten with homemade bread and chicken/beef or on pastelles etc.
This recipe is a MUST TRY!
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 small onions
- 1 cup Bodi/yard beans
- 1 cup cauliflower
- 1 hot pepper (can be adjusted)
- 6-7 pimento
- 1 1/2 tbsp salt
- 15-18 cloves
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp tumeric
- 2 1/2 tbsp mustard
- 3 cups vinegar
- 2 1/4 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp JGM PRODUCTS ginger powder
- Finely chop all vegetables listed below ‘PART 1’. Place in a bowl with the salt and cover with water. Soak overnight. Remove from the water the following morning and set aside.
- Add all ingredients listed below ‘PART 2’ to a pot over low/medium heat. Mix well to ensure there are clumps of cornstarch and mixture is smooth, Bring to a boil for roughly 10 minutes and allow mixture to thicken.
- Once it has thickened, remove all whole cloves. You can strain the mixture.
- Add all vegetables to the pot and continue cooking on low/medium heat.
- Taste and adjust sugar if needed.
- Enjoy your chow with homemade bread, pastelle or roasted chicken
Check out the video here:
2 Comments Add yours