Holiday season is the time to experiment and have some fun in the kitchen. Chow chow is a favorite in Trinidad during the holiday season and so are different types of pies so I thought I’d combine them. In this recipe, I’m simply including some chow chow in a baked chicken and veg pie for an extra festive flavor.
YIELD: 1 small baking dish (6″x4″ approx.)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 8 tbsp shortening
- 8 tbsp margarine or butter
- Pinch of Salt
- Cold water
- 1 chicken breast, deboned and cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup broccoli
- 1/4 cup sweet peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup corn
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 pimento, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp Trinidad Chow Chow
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp JGM Products paprika
- JGM Products MSG Free All Purpose Seasoning to taste (contains salt)
- 1 egg, whisked or evaporated milk
- Add flour, shortening, butter, salt to a food processor.
- Pulse until most of the ingredients are incorporated. There can be chunks of the butter and shortening. Refer to video below for clarification.
- Place mixture in a bowl. Add cold water and form a dough. You don’t need to knead it. Place in the fridge to chill for a few hours.
- Add paprika and all purpose seasoning to the chicken. Mix and set aside.
- Add oil to a pan over low/medium heat.
- Add chicken followed by vegetables. Cook for 2-3 minutes until 3/4 way cooked through. The length of time can vary depending on the size of chicken.
- Stir in tomato paste and chow chow. Taste and adjust all purpose seasoning accordingly.
- Add cheese. Mix well and set aside.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and roll out to your preference of thickness. Carefully line a greased dish with the rolled out dough. Use a scissors or knife to remove any excess dough around the edges.
- Add chicken/veggies filling to the dish.
- Using a cookie cutter (any shape and pattern], cut enough pieces to cover or create the pattern for the top of your pie.
- Once covered, lightly brush with egg wash or evaporated milk.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes approx.
- Allow to cool then enjoy your baked pie with chow chow.
- You can use any veggies you like in this recipe.
- You can replace the chicken with any meat you like including seafood.
- You can also use any type and quantity of cheese.
- You can create mini cupcake size pies using this recipe as well. Follow along with my mini apple pie recipe and simply replace the apple filling with the one made in this recipe.
I hope you guys enjoyed this post! Be sure to join me on Instagram
Check out the video here: