YIELD: 1 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish
- 200 g vermicelli
- 1/2 cup condensed milk (can be adjusted)
- 4 tbsp margarine or salted butter
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 – 2 cinnamon sticks (depending on the size)
- 8 cloves (approx.)
- 1/4 cup raisins (can be adjusted)
- 1/4 cup cherries (can be adjusted)
- almonds (optional)
- Break vermicelli into small pieces. Pieces don’t need to be broken very small. This step just makes handling easier in the next step.
- In a dry pot over low/medium heat, melt margarine or butter.
- Add vermicelli and parch until the noodles are brown. Stir continuously to ensure all the noodles get as evenly parched as possible. This can take a few minutes depending on your heat so keep an eye on it.
- Once the vermicelli noodles are nicely parched, add the water, evaporated milk , condensed milk and spices.
- Maintain the heat level on low/medium. Stir everything well to ensure all ingredients are nicely incorporated and allow the noodles to cook until they soften up. Add in the raisins and cherries. Mix well.
- Cook for a few minutes until the mixture thickens up. Keep stirring to ensure the mixture does not stick or burn.
- Remove any large pieces of spices (e.g. cinnamon sticks and cloves) if you are able to. This is to prevent anyone from biting into these while eating.
- Once it has thickened up, add to a greased dish. Spread it out evenly using a spatula or spoon to smoothen the top. In this step you can top with almonds and/or more of the dried fruits if you like. If you choose to do this, use a spoon and press them gently into the mixture to ensure they ‘stick’ on to the vermicelli cake.
- Set aside for a few hours or place in the refrigerator to firm up.
- Cut into any size squares you like and ENJOY!
Check out the video here: