This Thai dish consists of turmeric, papaya and fish and is quite delicious!
- 1 lb fish (any of your choice)
- 4 cups water
- 1 small green papaya, sliced
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 medium onion
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1 Hot pepper (or more)
- 2 medium fingers of turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Add turmeric, garlic, onion and hot pepper to a blender with some water (just enough to blend everything).
- Add the turmeric paste to a pot followed by the water and shrimp paste. Mix well to dissolve the shrimp paste.
- Add the sliced papaya. Bring to a boil and cook until they are almost fully cooked through.
- Add fish pieces. Do not stir when they are added. Let the fish cook through properly then give it a quick stir.
- Taste and add salt accordingly. Add lime juice and properly stir it.
- Serve with rice. ENJOY!
- Substitute for shrimp paste can be anchovy paste or fish sauce (1:1 ratio)
- Ensure the papaya is fully green. It can be cut into any size pieces and shapes you like.
- Avoid stirring the fish when you add it to the pot. This is to ensure there isn’t a fishy taste in the finished dish.
- You can use any fish you like. I used fillet but you can use fish slices as well.
- The dish is ideally supposed to have a sour but spicy taste to it so adjust the lime juice and pepper accordingly.
- Be mindful of the turmeric and the color stains that can be left behind after using turmeric.
See video here: