Chicken Karahi is popular Pakistani dish consisting of meat, spices and 3 major components which include garlic, fresh ginger and tomatoes. It’s a delicious tomato based curry that can be enjoyed with naan or rice.
- 2 chicken leg/thigh, cut into small pieces
- 6-7 small/medium tomatoes, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger,grated
- 3 tbsp ghee or oil
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp JGM Products ground chilies (can be adjusted)
- 1/2 tsp JGM Products paprika
- 1/2 tsp JGM Products roasted geera or cumin
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped cilantro for garnishing
- Thinly sliced ginger for garnish
- Season chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Heat ghee in a pot over medium/high heat. Add chicken pieces. Cook for a few minutes until brown.
- Add ginger and garlic. Cook for approx. 1-2 minutes then add the tomatoes. Mix well. Keep the heat on high and cook for approx. 15-20 minutes until the tomatoes are tender enough to be crushed and chicken pieces are cooked through.
- Add all spices and taste and adjust salt if necessary. Mix well. The sauce (gravy) should start to thicken up by now. Ensure that the chicken is properly cooked through at this point.
- Lower heat and simmer for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with GARLIC NAAN or rice. Enjoy!
- No water is used while cooking. If you do need to add some water however, do not add too much. There usually is sufficient liquid from the tomatoes and the chicken itself to cook everything.
- This recipe is a simple and delicious one. The ginger, garlic and tomatoes are ideally the stars of the dish.
- The spice level can be adjusted to your preference as well as the salt used.