Believe it or not i would say that I prefer stew chicken over curry! The rich colors and flavours from the browning process makes this dish an absolute delight and dding some JGM PRODUCTS all purpose seasoning and paprika to your stew will guarantee perfection.
- 1 small-medium chicken, cut up
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 3 -4 tbsp green seasoning
- 1 small hot pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 small onion (sliced)
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tbsp JGM PRODUCTS all purpose seasoning
- 1 tsp JGM PRODUCTS paprika
- Add green seasoning, hot pepper,onion, tomato, all purpose seasoning, mustard and paprika to chicken. Mix well and set aside to marinate (one hour minimum)
- Heat oil in pot on medium heat
- Add brown sugar.
- Cook until the sugar has melted and turns golden brown. Stir occasionally.
- Add ketchup. Stir.
- Add seasoned chicken. (Be very careful as the sugar can splatter and cause serious burns)
- Mix well to coat each piece of chicken with the sugar/ketchup mixture.
- Cover pot and let simmer for 2-3 mins.
- Remove cover and add water to the pot (enough to cover half the chicken)
- Reduce heat, cover pot and cook for 15-20 mins.
- Remove lid, increase heat and cook for a further 5-8 mins or until water evaporates.
- Add some chopped chives (optional)
- TIME TO EAT!! 🙂
NOTE: Be careful not to ‘over brown’ the sugar as your stew can turn out too brown and also taste bitter. In my case, my husband loves dark colored but it never tastes bitter as I be sure to cook it for just the right amount of time. Sometimes, it’s easy to under brown your stew. If this happens, you can add some soy sauce to get the color but watch out for the salt content. One suggestion would be to not add the all purpose seasoning (it contains salt) until after the browning process in case you do need to add soy sauce.
Don’t think or worry about it too much! Give it a try…you will do fine! 🙂
Check out the cooking video here:
Thank you as always for stopping by! Be sure to follow me on Instagram