I grew up eating dhal every week! lol…It is my favorite food and surely my comfort food. It’s made using primarily split peas and saffron. Each person has his/her own twist to this dish but this is how i make mine…
Hubby is not a fan of dhal so I usually cook a big pot and portion them out and then place them in the freezer so whenever I feel like indulging in some dhal i just take them out and enjoy it with rice and a side (salmon most times).
- 1 cup split peas
- 3 cup water
- 1 chopped pimento
- 3 cloves grated garlic, sliced
- 1 clove garlic (cut into small chunks)
- 1 chadon beni leaf, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped hot pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp JGM Products black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp JGM Products saffron powder
- 3 tbsp oil
- Add split peas, onion, grated garlic, pimento, pepper, salt, black pepper, chadon beni, water and saffron powder to a pot on medium heat.
- Cook until the peas are soft (roughly 20-25 mins)
- Remove from heat.
- Blend all ingredients together using a hand blender.
- Place oil and chopped garlic in a small pan or kalchul and heat until garlic turns brown.
- Carefully add the hot oil and garlic to the blended mixture. (Be very careful as the oil can splatter and cause bad burns).
- Mix well.
- TIME TO EAT! 🙂
Check out the video here: