Kitchri is one of those ‘ole time’ favorites. It’s a combination of rice, split peas and coconut milk with green seasoning. Some people add ochro, bhagi and even saltfish to it.
It’s quite similar in nature to what we refer to as pelau (Check out the video here )
- 1 cup parboiled rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1/2 cup split peas, cooked
- 1/4 cups carrots, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp green seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp JGM PRODUCTS black pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 pimentos, finely chopped
- 1 hot pepper, finely chopped
- 3 gloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 tsp JGM PRODUCTS saffron powder
- Heat oil in pan on medium heat.
- Add onions, peppers, garlic and pepper. Cook until the onions are tender.
- Add rice followed by the split peas. Mix well. Cook for roughly 1 min.
- Add water, coconut milk, veggies, salt, black pepper, saffron powder.
- Mix well and cover pot.
- Cook on low-medium heat for roughly 30-45 mins. Check it often and stir to prevent sticking. Add more liquid if necessary.
- Eat alone or serve with any of your favorite side dishes.
If you don’t like your rice ‘sappy’ or soft like I do, don’t add as much liquid to the pot. This is a pretty simple meal to put together and is perfect for vegetarians.
Check out the video here:
Thanks for stopping by and be sure to follow me on Instagram to keep up with all my daily food adventures.