Ochro rice is a delicious flavor packed one pot dish that you and your family will love! The main ingredient of course is ochro and coconut milk. It’s a simple recipe you can follow and its method is very similar to KITCHRI/KITCHARI (SPLIT PEAS RICE) and CHICKEN PELAU
- 1 cup parboiled rice
- 6-7 medium sized ochro, sliced
- 1/2 cup Saltfish, washed and broken into small pieces
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- 1 pimentos, thinly sliced
- 1 hot pepper, sliced
- 2 tbsp green seasoning (Spanish thyme, Chadon beni and garlic)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp JGM PRODUCTScomplete seasoning
- 1 tbsp golden ray
- 1 1/3 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Heat oil in pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, peppers etc then ochro. Cover and cook for 1-2 mins.
- Add Saltfish and rice. Mix well.
- Add coconut milk and 2 cups of water.
- Cover and cook on low for 15 mins (check in between and stir)
- Add remaining water and complete seasoning.
- Continue cooking for another 15 mins without the pot covered on medium heat.
- Add golden ray and green seasoning. Stir and simmer on low for roughly 5 mins or until water/liquid has evaporated.
- TIME TO EAT!
The total cook time was approximately 35 mins. This is one of those dishes that, like Pelau, is always up for debate when it comes to how ‘sappy’ it is. For me, sappy is the best! Lol
Check out the video here:
Always remembered however, cooking is all up to your preferences. I hope you guys try it this recipe and send me pics and/or feedback!