Fruit cake is a must have during the end of year holiday season. It’s packed with different fruits and nuts that make your tastebuds go crazy! There are many different versions of a ‘real’ fruit cake but here is my way…
- 1/2 cup cherries, chopped
- 1/3 cup prunes, chopped
- 1/3 cup raisins, chopped
- 1/3 sultanas, chopped
- 1 cup Malta
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup butter (227g), softened
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp JGM PRODUCTS cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Add fruits to Malta and allow to soak for 2 hours minimum.
- After soaking, place the fruit mixture into a food processor and pulse a few times until it has reached the desired ‘chunkiness’.
- In a bowl add butter and beat using a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add sugar, vanilla essence, eggs one at a time and mix for 2-3 mins.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and almonds. Mix until well conbined.
- Fold in 1/3 of the flour and 1/3 fruit/Malta mixture.
- Repeat this step until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour contents into a greased bread pan.
- Bake at 320 degrees for 1hr and 15 mins. You can check it using a toothpick to determine if you need to continue baking it. Once it comes out clean, it’s finished.
- Allow to cool and cut into slices.
- TIME TO EAT!
Instead of Malta, you can use peardrax or grape juice. Also, the measurements of the fruits can vary according to your preferences. Add more raisins, less cherries etc… whichever way, have fun with it!
Some use ‘browning’ to add color to the fruit cake. The molasses in the Malta however does that for you so no browning is necessary in this recipe unless you prefer very dark fruit cake.c
Check out the video here:
Thanks much for stopping by and be sure to try out my version of fruit cake!
4 Comments Add yours
Asalamualaikum, do you have a video with the peardrax or fruit juice? Jazak khala khair
LikeLiked by 1 person
Walaikum Assalam… that video is scheduled to be posted Monday InshaAllah. I used grape juice and soaked the fruits over night. I’ll try to post the recipe by the end of the week so you can refer to it until the video is up
Hi, how do you store non alcoholic black cake? Fridge or counter?
Hey, counter is fine up to 3-4weeks but I have honestly never left it out that long…most times because it finishes way before that time lol. you can fridge though but it can stay outside