Who doesn’t enjoy a good home cooked curry chicken right? I can tell you here in Trinidad we just love it!…
Here is my recipe:
- 3 lbs chicken, cleaned and cut into small pieces
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 hot pepper, chopped
TO SEASON CHICKEN WITH PRIOR TO COOKING:
- 1 tbsp JGM PRODUCTS curry
- 1/2 tbsp JGM PRODUCTS roasted geera
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Green seasoning (as much as you like)
TO BE USED WHILE COOKING:
- 3 tbsp JGM PRODUCTS curry
- Roasted geera (as much as you like)
- 1/4 cup green seasoning (culantro, pimento, garlic)
- Add all ingredients under ‘TO SEASON CHICKEN WITH PRIOR TO COOKING’ to chicken and set aside to marinate for as long as possible.
- Heat oil in pot and add onion, garlic, curry leaves and pepper. Cook on low heat until the onions are tender.
- Add 3 tbsp curry powder to the pot and allow to ‘toast’ until it darkens in color. This step can take a few minutes. Maintain the heat on low. Add water to the pot and allow the mixture to thicken into a paste
- Add chicken and mix well to coat all pieces with the curry mixture.
- Increase the heat and cook for 5-10 minutes. This is to allow the natural juices from the meat to reduce.
- Just before the meat begins to stick to the pot, add enough water to cover the chicken.
- Cook until the chicken is tender and there is enough sauce to your liking.
- 10 mins or so before turning off the stove, add some green seasoning and roasted geera. You can add as much as you like.
- Taste and adjust the salt.
- The amount of curry powder used can be adjusted to your liking. If you prefer a thick curry sauce, add enough of the curry and also the water.
- The amount of green seasoning and roasted geera can also be adjusted to your liking.
- Curry is one of those dishes that everyone has his/her own version. Just remember to adjust the ingredients to suit your taste.