In Trinidad, when we think about or hear the word ‘eggplant’ (more popularly called bhaigan) it’s usually bhaigan choka or curry bhaigan and aloo (potato) that comes to mind but this different way of preparing the bhaigan is actually pretty delicious!
Eggplant pizza is a yummy snack or side dish that the family will be sure to enjoy!
YIELD: 12-14 pizza slices
Here is the recipe:
• 1 medium sized eggplant, sliced into 1/4 inch circles
• 2 tsp JGM PRODUCTS oregano
• 4 tsp olive oil
• Shredded mozzarella cheese (as much as you like)
• Homemade marinara sauce (as much as you like)
• Spinach leaves (to your liking)
• Tomato, dices (as much as you like)
• salt and pepper to taste
1. Sprinkle salt on each side of the eggplant slices. This helps to draw moisture out which ensures crispiness when baking. Set aside for roughly 1 hour. Pat dry each side. The slices should be as dry as possible.
2. Coat each side of eggplant slices with olive oil.
3. Lay all slices flat onto a greased baking dish.
4. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 – 20 mins
5. Remove from oven and flip each slice.
6. Coat with marinara sauce, top with veggies and cheese.
7. Bake for a further 10 mins or until the cheese is nicely melted.
8. ENJOY YOUR DELIGHTFUL EGGPLANT PIZZAS.
You can use just about any veggies and cheese you prefer. You can also bake the eggplant slices for a little longer if they aren’t as firm as you would like.
Check out the video here:
Thanks so much for stopping by and be sure to try this amazing easy and healthy dish!