Corn Pie, a corn filled dish loaded with flavour and a favorite in Trinidad! Here is my recipe:
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 can whole kernel corn (12oz)
- 1 can cream style corn (15 oz)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup sweet peppers, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 pimentos, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 1 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp JGM PRODUCTS cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp JGM PRODUCTS white pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in pot over low-medium heat.
- Saute onions, garlic, pimentos. Add sweet peppers and margarine. Cook until peppers are tender.
- Add evaporated milk. Stir constantly and add cornmeal followed by cream style corn, whole kernel corn, cayenne pepper, salt and white pepper.
- Add egg slowly while stirring. Add half the amount of cheese and keep stirring until cornmeal pulls away from the sides of pot.
- Pour into a greased baking tray and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the pie. Bake for approx 35 mins.
- Allow the pie to properly cool before cutting it.
- TIME TO EAT!
THINGS TO NOTE:
- You can add as much cheese as you like. The amount used however was just fine for me.
- You can eliminate the cayenne pepper or use less if you aren’t a fan of spice.
- You can add more or use other veggies than what was used.
Check out the video here: