One pot meals are the easiest things ever! This bhagi rice recipe will surely have you screaming for more!
- 1 cup parboiled rice
- 7 large dasheen leaves and stems, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 pimentos, finely chopped
- 1 hot pepper (can be adjusted or eliminated)
- 1/4 lb saltfish
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3-4 cups water (can be adjusted)
- 1 1/2 tbsp golden ray butter
- 1 tsp salt (can be adjusted)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Boil saltfish to remove any excess salt. Remove from water and break into small pieces.
- Heat oil in pot over low/medium heat.
- Add onions, pimentos, garlic and pepper. Cook until tender.
- Add saltfish followed by dasheen bush leaves and stems. Stir and cover pot.
- Cook for 1-2 mins until the leaves have slightly melted.
- Add rice, coconut milk , water and golden ray. Stir.
- Cover pot and simmer for 30-35 mins. Be sure to check it every 10 mins or so and add more water if needed. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add salt and pepper.
- TIME TO EAT!
The amount of salt used will depend on how well the saltfish was boiled. It would be best to taste and add the salt to the pot when it is almost finished cooking.
The length of time for the bhagi rice to cook will depend on how soft you like your rice in this type of meal. It’s similar to that of pelau. Continue adding water until it’s just the right texture for you.
You can eliminate the saltfish for just a perfectly delicious vegetarian dish.
Check out the video here: