Caraille/Bitter Melon isn’t a favorite because of the bitterness of it. Once properly prepared however, I think it is delicious!
- 2 caraille, cleaned/sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, grated
- hot pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp oil for cooking (ca be adjusted)
- Add salt to sliced caraille. Set it aside for approx. 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, squeeze as much of the liquid from the caraille using your hands or a cloth.
- Set aside to dry for as long as possible (an entire day if possible).
- Heat oil in a pot on high heat. Add onions, garlic, hot pepper. Cook until onions are tender.
- Add caraille slices. Cook until crispy. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Serve with dhal and rice or roti and enjoy!
- Adding the salt to the caraille helps to remove some of the bitterness from it.
- Drying the slices helps with the crispiness so let them dry for as long as possible. You can also sun dry it if you can.
- Ensure there is enough oil for all the slices to cook in.
CHECK OUT THE VIDEO HERE: