Who would have thought about adding curry to green bananas with some coconut milk and saltfish?? It’s one of those traditional Trini dishes that we absolutely love!
- 5-6 green bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, grated
- hot pepper(as much as you like)
- 2 tbsp JGM PRODUCTS hot hot curry powder
- 1/2 tsp JGM PRODUCTS roasted geera
- coconut milk (2 tbsp milk powder with 1/2 cup water)
- 1 tbsp green seasoning (can be adjusted)
- 1/2 cup saltfish
- oil for cooking
1. Boil saltfish for roughly 10 minutes to remove most of the salty taste. Once boiled, set aside to cool then break it up into small pieces. The time might vary depending on the type of salt fish. You can taste it and adjust the time accordingly.
2. Heat oil in pot
3. Sauté onions, garlic, tomatoes and pepper.
4. Add curry powder and toast for 2-3 minutes on low heat.
5. Add saltfish pieces and fry for 1 minute then add sliced green bananas.
6. Add coconut milk and water to cover the contents of the pot. Add green seasoning and salt.
7. Cook until banana is cooked through. Keep heat on medium. Add more water if necessary.
8. When it’s almost finished cooking, add a pinch of geera and green seasoning. Adjust salt if needed.
9. Time to enjoy your dish!
I personally love to eat this with rice but many prefer to have it with roti. Either way, I hope you enjoy this!