Who doesn’t enjoy scalloped potatoes? Potato dishes in general are a favorite and we are no stranger to a delightful scalloped potatoes dish. Here’s my simple recipe
YIELD: 1 8X6 baking dish
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 pimento/flavor pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. butter
- JGM Products complete seasoning (as you like)
- Season potato slices with complete seasoning and set aside.
- Melt butter in a pan over low/medium heat.
- Sauté onions and pimento. Stir in flour followed by milk and heavy cream. Mix well to ensure no clumps of the flour are in the milk.
- Add a pinch of complete seasoning. Stir until sauce begins to thicken.
- Place a layer of potato slices in a greased baking dish. Add sauce. Add another layer of potatoes then more sauce. Repeat until all potato slices and sauce are used up.
- Cover with foil. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake at 350 degrees for a further 30-35 minutes or until the potato is tender and there’s a nice golden brown color on the top.
- Cool for a few minutes before cutting into it.
NOTE: You can add cheese to this dish but adding cheese turns it in a dish called ‘POTATOES AU GRATIN’. In Trinidad, we love adding cheese to pies but a classic scalloped potatoes does not include cheese.
- The complete seasoning used in this recipe contains salt along with other seasonings. If you don’t have this, you can add salt, black pepper, dried thyme, garlic powder or any other seasoning you like. No specific measurement was given for the complete seasoning as it can be adjusted to you liking.
- If you do not have heavy/cooking cream, you can replace it with evaporated milk.
For those of you in the UK and environs, you can purchase some of the JGM Products line of seasonings I use in my videos online. Click on the products below to purchase:
Check out the video here: