Oil down is a popular dish across in the Caribbean and is usually made with breadfruit and salted meat cooked in coconut milk. Dasheen bush leaves are also used in this dish.
I unfortunately don’t have any breadfruit, dasheen bush or salted meat on hand so I making use of what i have available in my kitchen and I am going to share my recipe for this oil down dish using potatoes and pak choy with no meat.
YIELD: 3-4 servings
- 4 medium potatoes and cut into quarters
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp golden ray butter
- 2-4 tbsp green seasoning
- 1 hot pepper, chopped (or as you like)
- 2 pimentos, chopped
- 5-6 cloves garlic, grated
- 2-4 cups pak choy leaves or dasheen bush leaves
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- JGM Complete Seasoning (as you like)
- Heat oil over low medium heat.
- Sauté onions,￼ tomato,￼ garlic, pimento and hot pepper.￼￼
- Add potatoes, pak choy leaves, coconut milk, tomato paste, water, complete seasoning and golden ray butter.￼
- Stir everything properly.
- Cover the pot and keep the heat on low medium. Cook until the potatoes are half way cooked through. The length of time for this step will depend on the size of the potatoes. Be sure to check on it at intervals.
- Remove the cover and allow to cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, the sauce has thickened and the potatoes are tender.
- ￼￼￼￼￼Taste and add more complete seasoning if necessary.￼
- Time to enjoy your potato oil down.
- ￼The amount of coconut milk used can be adjusted. You can either use all coconut milk and no water or you can use less coconut milk and more water. Coconut milk adds some very rich flavors to dishes so be sure to adjust this measurement accordingly if necessary. The more coconut milk the richer the taste of the finished product.
- The complete seasoning used in this recipe contains salt so no additional salt is required.￼
- The golden ray butter is optional but it adds a lot of rich flavor.￼￼￼￼ you can adjust this measurement accordingly.
- Be careful not to overcook the potatoes as they can quickly turn into mashed potatoes.￼￼￼
- The amount of liquid in the finished product depends on you. Some people like a lot of sauce in their oil down while some prefer less sauce.￼ You can Cook it to your liking.
If you are based in the UK and/or environs, you can purchase some of the seasonings I use in my videos online from a UK based company.
Click here to go to the site.
Check out the video for this potato oil down here: