Black beans just might be my favorite type of beans! These days there is the option to purchase the beans in the tin but I prefer the ones that come in bags/packs. Unfortunately these require a lot more prep time compared to the tin beans but to me, it’s worth the extra time!
Black beans like most beans are easy to prepare so let’s just get straight into the ingredients and method.
- 1 cup black beans
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp green seasoning
- 2 cherry pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp JGM PRODUCTS msg free all purpose seasoning
- 1 small onion, sliced
NOTE: If you don’t have green seasoning already made, you can use 2-3 gloves of grated garlic, 3-4 chadon beni leaves (chopped) and 2 sprigs of fine thyme.
- Soak the black beans in water overnight to speed up the cooking time.
- Afer soaking, empty water and add the beans and all other ingredients listed above to a pot of water (just enough to cover the beans) on medium heat.
- Cover the pot and allow to cook until the beans are soft. You will need to pay attention as the beans can stick if too much water evaporates. You most likely will have to add more water until the beans properly cooked.
- Once the beans are finished cooking, you can add more All Purpose seasoning and green seasoning for extra flavor. I usually add the extra depending on how much water was added to the pot while cooking.
- It may take roughly an hour and a half to properly cook through but if you have a pressure cooker, the cooking time will be cut in half. I’d suggest you use the pressure cooker if you can.
NOTE: Another way of cooking black beans is by sautéing onions and pepper in a pot then adding the beans, water and all other ingredients and allowing it to cook until tender. I enjoy them either way.
One of my ideal meals consists of black beans, white rice, some type of meat, plantains and a salad! 😋😋😋 I can eat this everyday! 😀… not kidding!
This recipe was very simple right? Do you like black beans? How do you prepare them? Send me a message and let me know!
If you have never cooked black beans, give my recipe a try! I’m certain you and your family will love it!
As always, thanks so much for taking the time to read this blogpost. Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook and also subscribe to my YouTube Channel
Look out my next blogpost soon! 😀