Coo Coo was one of those dishes I never really grew up eating but for some reason now I absolutely love it! I think its the cornmeal taste that I love!
This flavor packed dish is quite easy to put together and takes less than 30 mins! The key ingredients are cornmeal, coconut milk and ochro!
Here is my recipe:
SERVINGS – 10 pieces (can vary depending on how you cut it)
- 1 cup cornmeal (fine)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 pimentos, finely chopped
- 8-10 ochro, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp JGM Products all purpose seasoning
- 1/2 tsp JGM Products cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Heat oil in pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, pimentos and garlic. Cook until tender.
- Add ochros and cook for 3-4 mins over low heat with pot covered.
- Increase the heat and Add coconut milk, all purpose seasoning and butter. Bring to a boil or until the ochro are tender.
- In a separate bowl, combine cornmeal and warm water. Mix well.
- Add cornmeal mixture to the pot while stirring.
- Reduce heat and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and the mixture stiffens.
- Remove and add to a greased dish. Flatten the top (you can use the back of a spoon that has been dipped in some coconut oil).
- Cool and serve.
I didn’t include any spice (pimentos may be enougb spice for some people but to Hubby and me, spice means hot pepper! Lol, If are a pepper mouth, you can throw in some finely chopped hot pepper if you wish for the extra kick.
To with this dish, I had red beans, baked fish, turkey, macaroni salad, rice and fresh salad! It also goes amazingly well with callaloo!
I hope you try this delightful Caribbean dish and let me know what you think! I think you will totally love it! 😬