Macaroni pie is an absolute favorite in Trinidad and Tobago and even throughout the Caribbean! It’s usually enjoyed with callaloo, stew OR baked chicken….orrr simply with ketchup (yes…I like having my macaroni pie with some ketchup at times lol)
The ingredients are very easily accessible and anyone can make it.
Here is my easy recipe!
- 400g macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 large pimentos, thinly chopped
- hot pepper, thinly chopped (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp JGM Products paprika
- 1/2 tsp JGM Products white pepper powder
- 3/4 tsp JGM Products garlic powder
- Boil macaroni according to package instructions. I don’t usually add salt.
- While macaroni is boiling, prepare the cheese sauce by combining all other ingredients and whisking together.
- Once macaroni is finished, remove from the water and add to the mixture. Mix well.
- Add to a greased baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 mins.
- Cool and serve!
- Use my recipe as a guide and feel free to adjust the measurements of any ingredients listed to suit your preference.
- You can use any type of pasta to make a macaroni pie.
- Using a food processor to chop the pimento, hot pepper and onion is my preferred option to avoid getting chunks of them in the pie.
- You can use cayenne pepper or ground chilies instead of raw pepper
- You can use any type of cheese you prefer.
Always remember to just have fun in the kitchen! Hope you liked this recipe and give it a try 🙂
Check out the video here: