Husband and I decided to head out for lunch sometime ago and his choice for lunch was Kerala fish curry and basmati rice. I honestly had never heard of this dish but when we tasted it, we both fell in love!
A few days after that, I was trying to decide what I should make at home for lunch and he suggested that I attempt the Kerala fish curry so I went into research and experimenting mode and this is what my version of the dish consists of.
- 1lb fish fillet
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2-3 pimentos (flavor peppers), chopped
- 1/2 tsp methi
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 green mango, sliced
- 2-3 bay leaves
- salt and black pepper to taste
FOR CURRY PASTE:
- 1 tsp JGM Products hot hot curry
- 1 tsp JGM Products saffron powder
- 1/2 tsp JGM Products paprika
- 1 tsp JGM Products ground chilies
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp water
- Combine all ingredients listed below ‘FOR CURRY PASTE’ and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat oil in pot over low/medium heat. Add onions, garlic, ginger and pimentos. Cook until onions are tender.
- Add methi seeds followed but the curry paste. Cook for 2-3 minutes over low heat.
- Increase heat to medium. Add coconut milk and water followed by mango. Cook until the mango is tender.
- Add fish fillets and bay leaves. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until fish is cooked through properly.
- Taste and add salt and black pepper according to your preference.
- Enjoy with some hot basmati rice.
Check out the video here: