Geera chicken is a popular ‘snack’ in Trinidad especially during family or friends gatherings. It’s basically chicken (mainly chicken neck) that’s seasoned and cooked with our Trini roasted geera. It’s usually very spicy too!
- 1 lb chicken wings, cleaned and cut into 3 pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 pimento, chopped
- 1 garlic, chopped
- Hot pepper (as much as you like)
- 2 tbsp green seasoning
- 1 tbsp JGM Products roasted geera
- 1/2 tbsp JGM Products hot hot curry
- salt and black pepper to taste
- vegetable oil to cook
- Roasted geera (as much as you like)
- Green seasoning (as much as you like)
- Add some of the chopped pimento, onion and hot peppers to the chicken wings. Set aside the remaining onions etc which will be used later on. Add the green seasoning, salt, black pepper, curry and 1 tbsp roasted geera as well to the meat. Mix well to ensure all pieces of meat are nicely coated. Set aside to marinate for as long as time permits.
- Heat oil in a pot over low/medium heat. Add the garlic and the remaining chopped onions, pepper and pimento. Cook until the onions are nice and tender.
- Add the seasoned chicken wings. Increase heat and let natural juices and water from the chicken evaporate. Chicken usually springs its own water so need to add water in this step.
- Once most of the liquid is gone, add enough water to cover the chicken and cook for roughly 20-25 minutes (uncovered) or until the chicken is properly cooked through and the sauce thickens up.
- When the sauce begins to thicken, add as much green seasoning as you like (optional) as well as the roasted geera. Sometimes I like to add some chopped up hot pepper in this step as well. Mix well.
- Taste and adjust for salt. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes on high heat.
- ENJOY your Trini style geera chicken!
This dish is one of those that can be adjusted to your likes. You can add as much green seasoning and geera or even the hot pepper. It’s usually a spicy dish but hey….you are the one making it so have fun with it and make it to please your taste buds.
If you have any questions on this recipe or any others on my website, don’t hesitate to send me an email. Be sure to also follow me on Instagram