Curry is a favorite in Trinidad. Curry anything and Trinis will handle it! lol One unique dish is curry egg and aloo. Who came up with that? Not sure…but i’ll just say thanks much because I LOVE IT! 😀 Today’s menu included smoked herrings and tomatoes, egg and aloo with dhal and rice!
Here’s my recipe for the egg and aloo…
- 4 eggs, hard boiled, shells off
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cloves garlic,grated
- 1/2 hot pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 chadon beni leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp JGM Products roasted geera
- 1 tbsp JGM Products medium hot curry
- 3 tbsp water (for ‘curry paste’ explained in the method section)
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Combine, 3 tbsp water, curry, geera, pepper, garlic and onions to form a ‘curry paste’. Set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add curry paste and stir for a few seconds.
- Add potatoes and mix well to coat with the curry. Cover pan, reduce heat and cook for 1 min.
- Add 2 cups of water. Cover pan again and cook until the potatoes are tender. You may need to add the additional cup of water if too much water has dried up and the potatoes aren’t cooked properly.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, you can use a potato masher to crush some of the potatoes to make the curry sauce a bit thicker (no necessary but I prefer it like this).
- Cut the hard boiled eggs in half and add them to the potatoes. Mix well (be careful not to break the eggs).
- Cook for a further minute.
- TIME TO EAT! 😀
I totally enjoy having this. Usually I actually just have it with some rice but today i had it with dhal, rice and smoked herring and tomatoes! SOOOOOOO GOOODDD!!! Yum!
Give this recipe a try out and let me know what you think!
Be sure to stay connected with me on social media: