Local dishes in Trinidad and Tobago are just so unique and packed with flavor! Saltfish and tomatoes is one of the many dishes that can be enjoyed as breakfast, lunch or even dinner! It’s quite similar to Smoked Herring and Tomatoes
It’s usually accompanies with bake, bread, dhal and rice or roti. Here is the recipe:
- 1/4 lb Saltfish
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 pimento, finely chopped
- hot pepper (optional or amount based on your spice tolerance level)
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Boil saltfish for few minutes to get rid of the excess salt.
- Once boiled, remove from the water and rinse. Break the pieces into smaller pieces using a fork or your hand. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pot and add the onions, pimento, garlic and onions. Cook until tender.
- Add the saltfish pieces and cook for 1-2 mins on low heat until they are nicely fried. Keep stirring to avoid sticking and add some water if necessary.
- Add the tomatoes, stir and cover pot. Cook until the tomatoes are soft.
- TIME TO EAT!
I love having this with DHAL and rice with some cucumbers! It’s absolutely delicious!