This traditional dish of bhagi and saltfish is made with dasheen bush or taro leaves/stems, coconut milk and saltfish. A simple yet flavorful dish that you are sure to enjoy!
- 1 bundle dasheen bush
- 1 onion, sliced
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- hot pepper (as much as you like)
- 170 g saltfish (between 1/4 lb – 1/3 lb)
- 400g coconut milk (approx 1 3/4 cup milk)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- water (as much as you need)
- Cut dasheen bush stems and leaves into small pieces.
- Boil saltfish for a few minutes (time can vary depending on the saltfish. You can taste a piece after 5-10 minutes of boiling to see how salty it is and how much more time may be needed).
- Once boiled, break it up into smaller pieces.
- Heat oil in pot over low/medium heat.
- Add saltfish, onions, garlic and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are tender.
- Add dasheen bush leaves and stems. Cover pot and cook for roughly 10 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and enough water to cover the ingredients in the pot.
- Cook until the leaves are tender enough to crush. Cook time in this step can vary depending on the dasheen bush used. Stir occasionally and add more water if needed to properly cook the dasheen bush.
- Use a potato masher to crush the leaves and stems and to get a smoother consistency.
- Enjoy your bhagi and saltfish with rice or roti.