Most Trinis and Caribbean people love pies. Examples of some include macaroni pie and corn pie. In today’s blogpost, we’re going to make a delightful green fig (green banana) pie, an easy and delicious dish to put together.
Just to be clear, we refer to bananas as figs. I know many of you may know figs as the teardrop purple fruits but in this case we are really using green bananas or what we call green figs.
YIELD: 1 8×8 dish
- 3 lbs green fig/green banana
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated for topping
- 1 tbsp butter/margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 pimento, chopped
- 1 tbsp green seasoning
- 1/4 tsp JGM Products cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp JGM Products msg free all purpose seasoning
- Boil green figs until tender. You can peel them before boiling or you can boil them with the skin on.
- If you boiled with the skin, peel the figs once they are tender and place in a bowl. Mash them using a fork or a potato masher. You can mash to your liking. I prefer not to have too many chunks of green figs in the pie so I prefer mashing them up as much as possible.
- In a separate bowl combine all other ingredients listed above except the cheese to be used for the topping. Mix well.
- Add the mixture to the mashed green figs. Mix well to ensure all ingredients are properly incorporated.
- Add to a greased baking dish. Top with cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Let the pie cool before cutting.
- Enjoy your green fig or green banana pie
I hope you guys try this recipe! It’s another delicious Caribbean dish that you will love.
Check out the video here: