Baked pies whether it’s beef, chicken or potato are simply amazing… not to mention a better option than fried.
This pies are a delicious snack for a movie night at home or a family get together!
Here is my recipe😀
YIELD: 22 pies
- 8 tbsp shortening
- 8 tbsp margarine
- 2 cups flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup COLD water
- 1 egg, beaten
FILLING (can be beef or potato) –
- 1 lb minced chicken
- 3 tbsp green seasoning (combination of thyme, garlic, pimento, hot pepper and chadon beni)
- 1 1/4 tsp JGM PRODUCTS complete seasoning
- Place flour, margarine, salt and shortening in a food processor.
Pulse 4-6 times (there should be chunks of the margarine or shortening after this which is what you want).
Empty contents into a bowl.
- Add cold water and combine with the flour mixture to form a ball. Don’t knead it. It does not have to be smooth at this point.
- Place dough onto some plastic and wrap it. At this point you can flatten the dough to form a nice rectangle or square shape).
- Place the wrapped dough in the fridge and allow to chill for about an hour.
- Remove from the fridge when you are ready to use the dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured counter top and using a rolling pin, roll into a big circle with a thickness of approximately 2-3mm.
- Using a round cookie cutter, cut into circles.
- For this next step I usually use my hands to place the meat or potato filling onto the dough then fold it in half then place onto a greased baking tray. You can also place the filling onto the dough immediately after you cut it into the small circles, then fold it and place onto the tray). For me, it’s just easier and faster using my hands.
- Place each filled pastry dough onto a greased baking tray.
- Using a fork, pinch the ends of the unbaked pies (this not only seals them but also makes them look nice)
- Using a pastry brush, lightly coat with the egg wash. This step is optional but it gives the lovely golden brown color.
- Place in a preheated oven at 375degrees and bake for 30-35 mins (or until golden brown) on the middle tray of the oven.
- TIME TO EAT! 😋
If you don’t have a food processor, you can use your a pastry cutter or your hands to break the shortening and margarine isn’t smaller pieces. The food processor is just easier to handle and less messy.
I do hope you try this pies at home! I’m writing this and the smell of them in the oven has my mouth watering! 😋👌🏼
Thanks much as always for stopping by! Be sure to share this recipe with your friends and family and leave me a comment and let me know what you think when you try the recipe.