Mango talkari is a classic vegetarian dish eaten with Curries in Trinidad and Tobago. With Divali around the corner, this dish is one guaranteed to be served along with other amazing vegetarian dishes.
YIELD: 3-4 servings
- 1 lb green mango, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp JGM PRODUCTS amchar masala
- 1/4 tsp JGM PRODUCTS curry powder
- Pinch of JGM PRODUCTS roasted geera (optional)
- 2-3 curry leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small hot pepper, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup sugar (can be adjusted)
- 1 tbsp green seasoning
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Water as needed
- Heat oil over low heat.
- Sauté onions, pepper and curry leaves.
- Add garlic, curry powder and amchar masala. Keep stirring. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add roughly 1/4 cup water. Cook until it thickens.
- Add mango pieces. Mix well to coat all pieces with the mixture.
- Add enough water to cover mango. Stir in sugar and add salt.
- Increase heat to medium.Cook until mango is tender and liquid has thickened. Stir occasionally and add more water as needed.
- Just before it’s finished cooking, taste and adjust salt as needed. Add green seasoning and a pinch of roasted geera.
- Enjoy your mango talkari.
- The amount of sugar needed will vary depending on the type of mango used and also how sweet you want this dish to be. Adjust accordingly.
- Another way to prepare this dish is by boiling the mango first until its tender then adding the boiled mango to the amchar masala mixture. I personally prefer the method listed above as it involves less time and also it gives the mango a chance to fully cook through in the amchar masala mixture, adding more flavor.
Check out the video here: