Curry bhaigan and aloo is a dish I remember my grandmother cooking when I was a kid. A few days ago I was on the phone with my aunt and we started talking about dinner….and she was telling me that she was gonna make this dish. Immediately I began craving it. The following day, I went to the supermarket and picked up everything I needed and was super excited to get back home to prepare dinner.This is one of those dishes that I am certain many Trinis can relate to…whether they enjoy it or not, I am sure it would bring back some memories of grandmother, mother cooking it back in the days.
It’s a very quick and easy dish and also an excellent vegetarian dinner option….so here’s my recipe:
- 1 eggplant/bhaigan (roughly 1lb), cubed
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 small/medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 chadon beni leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp JGM PRODUCTS Madras Curry
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Form curry paste by combining curry, and 2 tbsp water. Set aside.
- Pour oil in pot and heat to medium/high.
- Once the oil is hot, sauté onions, garlic, chadon beni and pepper. Once the onions are cooked through, add the curry paste. Stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add potatoes and eggplant. Stir well to coat with the curry.
- Add salt and 1/2 cup of water. Cover pot and reduce heat to low.
- Cook until the potatoes are tender and the eggplant has melted (roughly 20-mins).
- Stir occasionally and add water if necessary if you notice the contents begin to stick to the pot.
- Serve with hot roti or rice and salad.
- TIME TO EAT!
NOTE: I didn’t peel the eggplant but you can do so if you wish to not get the strong eggplant flavour in the dish. Also, I added the potatoes the same time with the eggplant….only because I cook the potatoes very small so the cooking time would be less. If you cut the potatoes into big cubes, you should add them before adding the eggplant to ensure that they are properly cooked.
Although I could have eaten this meal without meat, I chose to add some stew chicken as i had leftovers in the fridge…and of course I had my salad with it. It was soooooo good!!!
Local food is definitely one of the best for me! 😀
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and stay updated with my daily food adventures…
Like my facebook page as well: http://www.facebook.com/jennagthehijabitt
Subscribe to my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/jennagthehijabitt