Where do I even start with this post?!? When I think about curried crab I just get weak haha😀 I loveeeee crab especially when it is curried!
I’ve been feeling for this for the longest while and finally while driving through Aranguez, Trinidad I spotted some big and nice looking crab! Soooo although I was a little pressed for time, I just had to stop and get some. 3 big crabs (1 bundle) for $60 or I could have gotten 2 bundles (6 crabs) for $100… and yes the vendors cleaned it.
Now before I get into the cooking part, I just want to add that crab can be a bit ‘scary’ because even after the extra cleaning and seasoning, the legs still move!!! Lol! Not cool!
But anyways… on to my recipe. Now This recipe calls for coconut milk/powder… but I’m not a big of a fan of it as my husband so you can always adjust the amount when you are trying it out.
- 8 crabs, cleaned properly
- 2 limes, juice from
- 3 tbsp green seasoning (combination of spanish thyme, fine thyme, chadon beni, garlic, pepper)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 pimento, chopped
- 5 tbsp JGM PRODUCTS light curry
- 3 tbsp JGM PRODUCTS madras curry
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- Wash and properly clean crab.
- Add lime juice, green seasoning, salt, pepper, 1tbsp light curry and 1 tbsp madras curry.
- Set aside.
- Heat oil over low-medium heat in pot.
- Add, onions, pimentos and cook until the onions are nice and tender.
- Add remaining curry powder to pot. Stir until the curry turns grainy and darkens in color.
- Add seasoned crab and mix to evenly coat all the crab with the curry.
- Cover pot and cook for roughly 5 mins. Add some water if necessary to prevent sticking but not too much.
- Remove lid, Add water and coconut milk and stir well. Increase heat.
- Cover pot and allow to cook for roughly 10-15 mins. Stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 5 mins and allow excess water to burn off.
- Add some more green seasoning a few minutes before the crabs are finished cooking. Taste and adjust salt accordingly.
- Serve with hot rice or dumplings
- TIME TO EAT! 😀
Remember that recipes are just a guide. You can adjust the measurements to your preference. Also, this type of crab turns red when it’s cooked through properly so you can use that as a guide if you were wondering how long it should cook for. This entire dish took roughly 20 mins total.
For me, the most important part of curry crab is the coconut milk! 😀
Check out the video for this dish here:
I made some cucumber chow to go with it as well as some watercress and of course my raw pepper!
My mouth is watering just writing this post! Haha… I’m not kidding! 🙈 So I’m gonna eat some of this right now😀
I hope you give it a try…. and feel free to send me your suggestions and even your recipe. Would love to try it out.
Follow me on Instagram for my daily food pics:
like my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/jennagthehijabitt
Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http/www.youtube.com/c/JennaGTheHijabiTT
One Comment Add yours