Where do I even start with this post?!? When I think about curried crab I just get weak haha😀 I loveeeee crab especially when it is curried!
I’ve been feeling for this for the longest while and finally while driving through Aranguez, Trinidad I spotted some big and nice looking crab! Soooo although I was a little pressed for time, I just had to stop and get some. 3 big crabs (1 bundle) for $60 or I could have gotten 2 bundles (6 crabs) for $100… and yes the vendors cleaned it.
Now before I get into the cooking part, I just want to add that crab can be a bit ‘scary’ because even after the extra cleaning and seasoning, the legs still move!!! Lol! Not cool!
But anyways… on to my recipe. Now This recipe calls for coconut milk/powder… but I’m not a big of a fan of it as my husband so you can always adjust the amount when you are trying it out.
- 3 crabs
- 2 limes, juice from
- 3 tbsp green seasoning (2 heads of garlic/3 chadon beni/bit of water)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp JGM PRODUCTS medium hot curry
- 3 tbsp coconut powder
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tbsp oil
FOR THE CURRY PASTE
- 3 tbsp JGM PRODUCTS medium hot curry
- 1/2 tsp JGM PRODUCTS roasted geera
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp green seasoning
- Wash and properly clean crab.
- Add lime juice, green seasoning, onions, salt, pepper, 1tbsp curry.
- Set aside. Allow to marinate for minimum 3 hours in refrigerator.
- Remove marinating crab from fridge 20 mins prior to use.
- Prepare curry paste using all the ingredients stated below ‘FOR THE CURRY PASTE’. Set aside.
- Heat oil over medium heat in pot.
- Add curry paste. Cook for 1 min while stirring constantly (short video on this on my IG page…link below).
- Add seasoned crab and mix to evenly coat all the crab with the curry.
- Reduce heat, cover pot and cook for roughly 2 mins. Add some water if necessary to prevent sticking but not too much.
- Remove lid, Add water and coconut powder and stir well. Increase heat.
- Cover pot and allow to cook for roughly 10-15 mins. Stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 5 mins and allow excess water to burn off. The coconut powder will thicken the curry so be sure not to let it burn.
- Serve with hot rice or dumplings
- TIME TO EAT! 😀
Remember that recipes are just a guide. You can adjust the measurements to your preference. I loveeee curry crab and rice!
I made some cucumber chow to go with it as well as some watercress and of course my raw pepper!
My mouth is watering just writing this post! Haha… I’m not kidding! 🙈 So I’m gonna eat some of this right now😀
I hope you give it a try…. and feel free to send me your suggestions and even your recipe. Would love to try it out.
Follow me on Instagram for my daily food pics: http://www.instagram.com/jennagthehijabitt
like my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/jennagthehijabitt
Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http/www.youtube.com/c/JennaGTheHijabiTT