I feel like experimenting these days!…and seeing that I’ve had so many requests for vegetarian meal options, I decided to make a soya dish.
Soya chunks are usually used as a meat extender and are very high in protein content. This dish, Asian style soya chunks pasta is a relatively quick and easy one to prepare but you need to be aware of how to properly prep the soya before it can actually be cooked/used. To do this, you should soak the soya chunks, then boil them, strain them and squeeze them to remove any excess water.
Why Asian style…and why pasta? why not regular Trini curry or stew? Well….I love pasta especially Asian inspired pasta…sooo why not do an Asian Style Soya Chunks Pasta! I think you would love it!
Sooo…let’s get started…
- 200g linguine
- 1 cup soya chunks
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- 1 tsp sesame oil sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tbsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp JGM PRODUCTS Chinese seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small sweet pepper, sliced
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 /2 cup sliced carrots
- 1 tbso olive oil
NOTE: You can use just about any vegetable you like for this dish…and any quantity.
- Soak soya chunks for roughly 15 mins.
- While the chunks are soaking, cook pasta according to package instructions and then set aside.
- Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, oyster sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, cayenne pepper in a bowl. Whisk together and set aside. This is the sauce that adds the Asian inspired flavor to the dish.
- By this time, the soya chunks should be properly soaked. Now, boil the chunks for a further 15 mins.
- While the soya is boiling, slice all the vegetables to be cooked.
- After boiling the soya chunks, remove them from the water and squeeze to remove any excess water. You can let it cool for a bit then use your hand or you can use the back of a big pot spoon and press firmly on the chunks. Remove as much water as possible.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add grated garlic followed by the soya chunks. Stir (add some water to prevent sticking if necessary).
- Add vegetables to the skillet. Reduce heat and cover. Cook until vegetables are 1/2 way cooked through.
- Add cooked pasta, sauce prepared in step 3, chili flakes and Chinese seasoning.
- Toss well to evenly coat pasta, soya chunks and vegetables.
- Cover skillet and let it cook for just about 1 min.
- TIME TO EAT! 😀
Like I mentioned, this is an easy dish to put together. I loved it! I hope you give it a try and let me know your thoughts! Would love to hear from you.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and also like my Facebook page
Here’s the cooking video: