Canned items are a must in any pantry. I usually have pink salmon, corned beef and other items available but for some reason I ended up with a can of mackerel.
This isn’t something I would stock up on but I had it so I decided to cook in some way and the only thing I could think about was stewing it. I opened the fridge and saw some coconut milk and decided why not add some in. The finished product tasted good but in all honesty, not something I’d be in a hurry to eat again…. this was perhaps my least favorite thing that I’ve ever cooked!… I blame it on the mackerel… definitely my least favorite canned food.
- 1 can mackerel (15oz)
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp coconut milk (optional)
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp green seasoning
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Hot pepper (as you like)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp JGM Products paprika
- 1 lime, juice of
- Remove as much bones as possible from the mackerel. Add the lime juice and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pot over low heat. Add the onions, garlic, pepper and tomatoes. Cook for 1-2 mins until the onions are tender.
- Add the ketchup. Stir then add the coconut milk, water and paprika. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add mackerel, paprika and green seasoning.
- Stir and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with rice or any side of your choice.
Usually when ‘stewing’ mackerel the coconut milk is not added but, as mentioned, I had it so I used it so that ingredient is totally optional.
If you do enjoy mackerel however, give this recipe a try. Now that you guys know one of my least favorite food items, I’d love to hear hear what your least favorite food item is so comment and let me know.
Thanks much for stopping by guys!
Check out the video here: