When you think about samosas, fried with a dip comes to mind! Samosas are served as snacks/appetizers and are fried triangle shaped dough filled with either vegetables/potatoes, chicken and even beef. I absolutely love fried samosas but why only limit yourself to enjoying them fried?
With some extra frozen samosas on hand, I decided to use them as you would dumplings, and put together a delightful stew Vegetable samosa soup… Trini style! If you are wondering about stew soup, well I actually grew up eating stew chicken soup. It was an amazing soup mummy made and I just loved it!
I kept this vegetable samosa stew soup pretty simple as I didn’t use provisions as we usually would when making soup in Trinidad but you can feel free to add any vegetable and/or provision.
YIELD: 2 servings
- 6 frozen vegetable samosas
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 pimentos, sliced
- Hot pepper as you like
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, cubed
- 1/3 cup pumpkin, chopped
- 1/3 cup sweet pepper, cubed
- 1 tbsp green seasoning
- 1 tsp coconut powder
- Water as needed
- JGM Products all purpose seasoning as needed
- Chopped celery, as much as you like
- Chopped chives, as much as you like
- Heat oil in pot over low heat. Add sugar.
- Keep stirring until the sugar mixture forms a cake like batter mixture and is a nice golden brown color. Stir in ketchup.
- Carefully add vegetables. Mix well.
- Add enough water to cover the contents. Add coconut milk powder. Stir well. Cook until vegetables are almost tender. Add more water as needed. In this step, you can add the vegetables that will longer to cook first. For example, the potatoes and carrots can be added first then when they are a little tender, you can add the onions, peppers, tomatoes.
- Add frozen samosas followed by green seasoning and all purpose seasoning to taste. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir as needed.
- Finish off my adding chopped celery and chives.
- You can add ground provisions to this dish for a more fulling soup.
- The measurements for the chives, celery, all purpose seasoning aren’t specified as you can adjust according to your preference.
- The all purpose seasoning contains salt so no need to add any extra salt.
- The amount of water used can be added according to how much liquid you want in your soup.
- Feel free to add more coconut milk powder for a richer taste as well.
This delightful stew soup is one you should try!
Check out the video here:
If you would like to support this website and send a donation towards its continued growth, here’s your chance! This contribution will be used directly for producing content/videos for upcoming recipes that you’ll be sure to enjoy. Your donation towards this website’s content is very much appreciated.