Bhagi is one of my personal favorites! It’s made with dasheen bush leaves/stems. Dasheen bush is also referred to as taro. Unfortunately it isn’t readily available in many countries but you can definitely replace it with spinach.
YIELD: 3-4 servings
- 7-8 cups (approx) dasheen bush, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried chickpeas
- 2 cups water (approx)
- 2 tbsp coconut milk powder
- 1 tbsp green seasoning
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Hot pepper, as you like
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp JGM PRODUCTS roasted geera
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Boil chickpeas until soft. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pot over low heat. Sauté onions, garlic, pepper.
- Add chopped dasheen bush. Cover pot for 2-3 minutes. This will help the dasheen bush to melt down quickly. You can add a tbsp of water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Combine water and coconut milk powder. Add to the pot. Cook until dasheen bush leaves and stem are tender and can easily be crushed.
- Once soft/tender, add chick peas, salt, black pepper, geera and green seasoning.
- Mix well and continue cooking until most the liquid has reduced.
- Enjoy your channa and Bhagi with rice, roti, provisions or any other side.
I love dhal and rice so this was what my lunch looked like:
- Canned chickpeas can be used instead of dried chickpeas. Be sure to add it closer to the end of the cooking process as you don’t want them but break up/fall apart.
- You can add as much coconut milk as you like. The more the coconut milk, the richer the flavor.
- Cook time will vary depending on the type of dasheen bush you are using. Some will take longer to cook.
- Dasheen bush can be replaced by spinach.
- If you are using spinach, add the chickpeas to the pot before the spinach. Allow the chickpeas to simmer in the coconut milk, then add the spinach and other ingredients once most of the liquid has reduced.
Here’s the video:
If you would like to support this website and send a donation towards its continued growth, here’s your chance! This contribution will be used directly for producing content/videos for upcoming recipes that you’ll be sure to enjoy. Your donation towards this website’s content is very much appreciated.