This classic combo is a favorite of mine! Peas and rice with curry goat.
PIGEON PEAS AND RICE:
- 1 cup parboiled rice
- 1 cup canned pigeon peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (or as much as you like)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups water or as needed
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 pimentos, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- Salt and black pepper
- Hot pepper (as much as you like)
TO SEASON MEAT:
- 1 lb goat meat, cleaned and cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp JGM Products curry powder
- 1/2 tsp JGM Products roasted geera
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- Hot pepper, as you like
FOR COOKING CURRY GOAT:
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, choppped￼
- Hot pepper as you like
- 2-3 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp green seasoning
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp JGM Products curry powder
- Pinch of roasted geera
- Green seasoning, as you like
- Water as needed
- Add curry powder and a roasted geera along with salt, black pepper and hot pepper to the goat meat. Mix well and set aside to marinate if possible. You can also cook it immediately after seasoning if you prefer.
- Heat oil in a pot over low heat.
- Sauté onions curry leaves, hot pepper and garlic.￼￼
- Add curry powder. Keep stirring over low heat and allow the curry powder to toast.￼￼￼
- Add roughly 1/4 cup of water (can be more or less). Stir until a thick curry paste has formed.￼
- Add seasoned meat to the pot and mix well to ensure all pieces are nicely coated with the curry paste.
- Increase heat to medium or high and cook until most of the natural juices from the meat have been reduced.￼￼
- Add enough water to cover the meat and reduce heat to between low and medium. Cover the pot and cook until the meat is tender. Be sure to check on it from time to time and also give it a quick stir. Add water as needed until the meat is properly cooked through.￼
- When it is almost fully cooked through and that there is enough sauce to your liking, taste and adjust salt if needed. Also add a pinch of roasted green and the green seasoning. Stir properly and allow to coo￼k for 1-2 minutes further or until the sauce has thickened.
To cook the rice:
- Heat oil over low heat.
- Sauté onions garlic and hot peppers.
- Add pigeon peas followed by rice, coconut milk, thyme, salt, black pepper and water. Stir well.
- Cover the pot and cook until the rice is cooked to your liking and the liquid has been absorbed. Be sure to check on it from time to time and give it a quick stir. Add more water if necessary.￼￼￼
- You can used fresh pigeon peas if you prefer. You can also use dried pigeon peas.￼