Bhagi Rice is a classic one pot dish that is packed with flavor! The main ingredients include coconut milk and dasheen bush or taro leaves.
YIELD: 5 – 6 persons
- 8 dasheen bush leaves and stems, chopped
- 1 cup parboiled rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup pumpkin, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 pimentos, chopped
- Hot pepper (as you like)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp green seasoning
- 4 cups water (or as needed)
- 2 tbsp golden ray butter
- 3/4 – 1 lb chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp JGM Products paprika
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp JGM Products msg free complete seas.
- 2 tbsp green seasoning
- Combine all ingredients listed below ‘FOR CHICKEN’. Mix well and set aside to marinate for as long as you like. You can also cook it immediately after seasoning it.
- Heat oil in a pot over low/medium heat. Add chopped onions, tomatoes, garlic, pepper and pimento. Cook until onions are tender.
- Add chicken. Increase heat and cook for approximately 5-10 minutes or until all the natural juices from the have evaporated. The chicken will spring its own water in this step.
- Add chopped dasheen bush leaves and stems. Mix well. Reduce heat. Cover pot and allow to dasheen bush leaves to melt a bit to make it easier to manage in the pot.
- Add rice, coconut milk and all other ingredients. Mix well. You can cover the pot or leave it uncovered. Cook until the rice is soft to your liking and most of the liquid has evaporated. Check it often and site to ensure it isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Taste and adjust green seasoning and salt accordingly.
- Enjoy your bhagi rice!
Check out the video here: