These breakfast rolls are ideal ‘on the go’ snacks for kids and adults. I used the dough that I would usually use to make bread, added some eggs, spinach, cheese and hot dogs, rolled it all up then sliced and baked them.
YIELD: Approx. 24 rolls (can vary depending on the thickness)
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (can be adjusted)
- 4 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 packet yeast (11 g) (a little more than a tbsp.)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (approx.)
- 6 medium eggs
- 4 hot dogs, thinly sliced
- Grated cheddar cheese, as you like
- Spinach leaves, as you like
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all dry ingredients and mix well listed below ‘FOR DOUGH’.
- Add melted butter and water to the dry ingredients. Add the water slowly to ensure that you don’t add more than is needed.
- Knead properly for approximately 5-7 mins until a smooth ball is formed. The dough should be soft. Place in a bowl and lightly coat with olive oil.
- Cover with a damn kitchen towel or plastic and let it sit for roughly 1 hour (can vary depending on the temperature of the surroundings).
- In the mean time, add a pinch or salt and black pepper to the eggs and whisk well. Add to a greased pan and scramble the eggs. Set aside once properly cooked through.
- After one hour or after the dough has doubled in size, punch it to let it sink and carefully remove it from the bowl.
- Roll it out into a rectangle. The thickness can be roughly 1/4 inch. You can adjust it to your liking depending on how much dough you would like in the finished product.
- Sprinkle grated cheese, eggs, hot dog slices and spinach leaves.
- Roll the dough from one end to the other ensuring that you do so tightly to form a log.
- Slice into slices of approx. 1 inch thickness. Place on a greased baking tray and bake at 375 degrees for roughly 20 minutes.
- Time to enjoy your breakfast rolls.
Check out the full video here: